Booking your new patient appointment
Please contact us by phone on 01293 782772 or pop in to meet us and get a feel for the practice. If you would like us to contact you to arrange the appointment, please complete our contact form. The fee for your initial consultation will be £98 and is payable on booking to secure the appointment (this is refundable if the appointment is cancelled with at least 24 hours’ notice). We will send you a Welcome Pack and ask that you complete the forms and bring them along with you to your appointment.
What to expect at your first appointment
We look forward to welcoming you to your first appointment with us. Please allow between 45 minutes and one hour for your first visit. Please arrive a few minutes ahead of time so we can ensure you have completed a confidential medical history questionnaire. It is very important that you advise your dentist of any medications that you are currently taking, allergies you may have and any major illnesses or operations that you have had in the past. This may feel insignificant to you, but it may have an important bearing on any medication that the dentist might want to prescribe for you. Once you are called through to the dentist’s room, you will have the opportunity to talk through any concerns, questions, anxieties that you may have. If you are nervous, or feel it would be helpful, you are welcome to bring someone along with you. After your clinical assessment we will talk through any recommended treatment options and oral hygiene advice. You will be given a written itemised treatment plan outlining the costs. If you are happy to proceed, our reception team will arrange a suitable appointment for you. Our primary aim for our patients is to prevent the need for treatment and we recommend that you attend regularly to keep on top of any potential problems. Once your treatment is complete, you may either book ahead for you next check-up or we can send you a reminder nearer the time.
Your clinical assessments include:
- Radiographs – Where necessary, we will take x-rays of your teeth so we can assess the health of the foundations of your current smile. We may also decide to take an OPG x-ray, which gives us a great overall view of what’s going on in your mouth as a whole.
- Photographs – Essential for treatment planning and a great communication tool to use with our laboratory when assessing facial shape and symmetry.
- Tooth Check – A thorough assessment of the health, function and appearance of your teeth and any existing restorations.
- Gum Health – We will carry out an extensive gum assessment to assess again the foundation of your teeth. We may recommend a Hygienist programme after this and/or bespoke home care products.
- Bite Records – Looking at and recording how your teeth meet and move across each other – this is important in terms of the function of any new restorations we may provide.
- Jaw Joint – We assess your external jaw joints because the regular occurrence of headaches and migraines is often closely related to ‘bite’ issues.
- Internal Soft Tissue – We assess the health of tongue, cheeks and palate, and carry out a comprehensive Oral Cancer Screening at each consultation.
- External Soft Tissue – We assess the glands around your neck and lips, noting facial profile and skin shade.
- Lifestyle – We will discuss your existing diet and lifestyle, including factors such as smoking and alcohol consumption, which can affect the health of your teeth. We will also ask you about your general health and medication.
- About You – We always promise to listen to and understand your wants and needs. We believe that it’s important to get to know you, to build a sense of trust, in order to give you the care you need. These consultations give you plenty of time to relax and chat without feeling as though you’re on a conveyor belt.